Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Crossword work out

Raymond Hamel's Wednesday puzzle gave me a lot of false starts. It took me much longer than usual to get through it, but it was quite satisfying. In fact, I didn't think there was a clue because I was so engrossed in the small details of the puzzle.

The main clues:
Cereal box figure with a hat - capncrunch
Group forcing men into military service - pressgang
Emergency military operation - airlift
Enhancing undergarment - pushupbra
Orange snack item - cheesecurl

But there were a lot of clues I didn't know. I'm surprised I can immodestly admit I got all of them.

Next-to-last Italian queen - Elena
House feature - gable
Word on a biblical wall - mene
Igor Moiseyev - Russian choreographer
Assistance - succor
Don Shula - Longtime Dolphins coach
Trash bins - ashcans
Essay has an alternate definition of attempt, or endeavor

Interesting clues:
Product of dehydration - seasalt
Body of art - torso
Shooter - bbgun
Dairy case item - oleo
Where to put old newspapers, maybe - cage

A relatively closer look:
Gable - A triangular, usually ornamental architectural section, as one above an arched door or window.

Cleo the goldfish was featured in Disney's Pinnochio.

Ulysses was banned in America as it was classified as obscene until 1933.

Hells Canyon is in Lewiston, Idaho, crafted by Snake River.

Press gang - The organisation at the ports charged with obtaining seamen was known as the Impress Service. The Impress service was limited to seizing men who were seamen, a word given a broad interpretation. The age limits were set at 18 to 55 years of age, frequently these limits were ignored.They often dupe and kidnap people into the Navy.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi curtis, I was out blog surfing looking for some info on work from home options when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but your topic caught my eye. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for work from home options. I am going to
bookmark your site for future reference and reading. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about work from home options at the site above.

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi curtis, I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on home base business, I ended up on your page. Your site title of Crossword work out shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about home base business.

2:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi curtis, I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on affiliate marketing, I ended up on your page. Your site title of Crossword work out shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about affiliate marketing.

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home